Friday, October 19, 2007

What I Wish I’d Known When I Was Twenty

Two Guys blogged on this title so i thought i would add my two cents.
First, These were my favorites from:
stumbling and mumbling and
big tommy speaks
1.Don't care so much about what others' think about you...This, though, is easier said than done.
2. Learn to play a musical instrument.
3. People regret what they haven't done more than they regret what they have done.
4. We adapt to our circumstances.
Great wealth won't make us very happy, nor will solitude make us too miserable. Extreme and persistent happiness or unhappiness is therefore unlikely. Life's a 6 out of 10.
5. Beautiful women are often insecure.
6. No-one's as confident or accomplished as they seem.
7. Family Matters. Most of us are blessed with immediate families who care about us far more than we realise – I certainly am. Not telling them about our lives or failing to introduce them to our friends is thoughtless and hurtful. I still need to work on this!
8.. Keep Fit.
9. Black People Actually ARE Less Intelligent Than Us. I can’t believe you fell for that.
10. Bullies Must Be Tackled Head On. There is only one way to handle bullies.
11. People That Appear Wise Are Not Always So.
12. Adolescence Is A Long Period. Quite simply, I don’t think I was at all grown-up until my late twenties. It is now clear to me that growing pains go well beyond our teens.
13. Old Friends Matter. Meeting new people is exciting and worthwhile. But I don’t have any better friends than my oldest schoolmates,

What I (Brent) wish I would've LEARNED by the time i was 20. (in no order)
1. 10-10-80 Principle- Save 10% Tithe 10% Live off 80% of income. This is Money Management 101 that i wish would've been ingrained into me when i first started dealing with money.
2. Focus on Strengths and Don't Feel Bad. God has gifted you a certain way, so focus on what you are rather than what you are not.
3. You Need People. Although people are more effort and might slow you down initially, you can accomplish exponentially more with a team in the long run.
4. It's Okay to Not be Grownup Yet. Not knowing everything does not mean there is something wrong with you. Just be responsible and enjoy the stage of life you are at.
5. God made everything that is good in this world. Trust that he knows what he is talking about, and that he has an upgraded version of everything that brings us pleasure, fulfillment, fun, and happiness.
6. Christians do not have to be serious all the time. For some reason to be a hardcore believe, sometimes i feel like you have to be deep, analytical and lose all of your sense of humor, playfulness, flippancy, & immaturity
7. Know Your Personal Needs and Prioritize Them. I need to have alone time with God, exercise, and people time for a day to be amazing. It is just a part of my makeup.
8. Life is a Journey, Not a Destination. I hate... absolutely despise this phrase! I am so goal driven that this phrase just irritates me. Yet there is so much truth in it. When ever i find myself frustrated, it is usually because i am not enjoying the journey.
9. Get Over Yourself. The quicker you find self-worth in God and the quicker you can get over your own insecurities, the more you can get out of your own way to help others. I am NOT saying neglecting yourself is the answer. I am saying that being in a state of willingness to sacrifice your wants and desires when it is needed for the greater good is PRICELESS.
10. There is a Difference between Truth & Reality. And let us never... NEVER use the excuse of the "Reality to choose," to choose something other than what we know and sincerely believe to be True and Right.
11. Life is All About God, Therefore life is all about Love. Love is unconditional. Other times, Love makes life situational. Love makes life unpredictable. Love gives life purpose. Love gives each human hope. Love makes us do things we normally wouldn't. Love is something we want to trust. Love seems to be humanity's ultimate desire. Love reshapes our life. Love helps us keep our jobs, social life, and personal being in proper perspective. Love is where we find our self-worth. Love is where we help others find true self-worth. Love consumes the thoughts of this world. Sometimes Love is too much to explain. Love goes beyond words. Yet when you experience Love or even a poor attempt at Love, you can't help but desire more. Love is Good.
(If you believe these statements to be true, go back and replace the word "love" with "God" in each statement because they are interchangeable. Everything that is love is of God.)
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God 1 john 4:16 NIV

2 comments:

sara jean said...

mmm...I like this post, good on ya:)

Lynne Howard said...

very insightful!