Thursday, February 14, 2008

Me and God not seeing eye to eye

So i was reading in 1 John today and came across verse 18 which read,

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment."

I disagreed with this statement because i had just written out my fears and i thought the verse should read

"....because fear has to do with disappointment"

I am not so worried about punishment, as I am disappointing God, myself, and others. What i realized is how worldly my perspective is to prioritize the success and approval of this world(1 John 2:15-17), yet once again, above the eternal perspective of God.

It is amazing isn't it?!? I am called a child of God. God has affirmed his presence in my life.
And he says we can know it by "the Spirit he gave us." (1Jn3:24)

Yet even now i feel like i have to worry and strive for more success that is good but probably more of my own stress and desires than God's immediate pressing on my life.

God, help me to prioritize your eternal perspective and approval on my life through your forgiveness before the worldly perspective and approval which is never to be fulfilled.

1 comment:

Josh and Jess said...

Brent,
Remember, Ecclesiates is a sad and hard book to understand. It happens to be my favorite book because reading it has helped me through some of the toughest times in my life; therefore, I truely believe that unless you are at that point in life when you feel as if all hope is lost, it is hard to see the King's perspective on "meaningless".
5:20... here's what I think (opinion here, remember, no scholar-lyness...) first off, remember that Solomon had EVERYTHING; women, gold, wisdom... he had it all. (Try finding meaning to life once you feel you've seen and done it all!) I beleive what he's saying here (He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart) is just that... he doesn't NEED to refelct on anything, even think about it at all, because God is his point of joy and happiness from here on out. Why look back at all the bad things you've done in life & dwell on them when God is showing you an eternity of happiness if you will only choose to follow?
And as for death... well, we all know what's in store for each of us. And yes, we SHOULD live life to the fullest, as if we'll never die, but in knowing that we will, we should do God's will to the best of our abilities and let that take priority over everytihng else. Solomon, having everything, realized one day why he was so darn miserable; he went off track for a bit, like we all do, and was living a life without God in it. Having every material possesion is worthless in a life without God in it. You can't take any of it with you, so why live a life pleasing men who will only ever disappoint you. Don't fear death because once this life is over, you get to spend an ETERNITY with the One who loves us all far more than the men who fail you ever will. So, he's saying, pleading really, for us all to live a life for God, put wordly possesions and things of yesterday behind us. He's trying to tell us that a life without God now, is not worth an eternity without Him later. = ) Well, sorry if it all sounds like cadswallup; things always sound so much better when I say them in my head!
Hope you're well!
God Bless,
Jessie