Monday, January 08, 2007

Things That Stand Out


For your entertainment. Click Here to see another Hilarious commercial.

For those of you that would like to read past my continuous life of laughter, Read on below...

Rod & Jan were talking to me tonight about what a pity it is for church planters to go off such a small amount of income. jan was saying that people often look down on the pastor when it might be more appropriate to look down on the congregation's giving. Her comment her friend gave was classic and totally counter culture!

If you have trouble seeing rhinestones on your pastor your gonna have a lot bigger problems once you get to heaven!
Meaning, if you have problems with your pastor looking presentable, maybe even successful, than what will you do when you get to heaven and God will be that much more rich, glamourous, and filled with splendor! Just an interest perspective

I am reading through Exodus right now. It is cool to see how the little things that I don't remember from reading before or that i have just forgotten, stand out as i read it again. I hope the things i have been learning are meaningful to you as well!

Taking on Christ close to Your Heart Daily
In Exodus Israel is getting all the extremely detailed instructions for the tabernacle and clothing, and etc. and i loved this one part on the breastplate where the twelve tribes were inscribed on it

“Engrave the names of the sons of Israel on the two stones ...and fasten them on the shoulder pieces...as memorial stones for the sons of Israel...and as a memorial before the Lord.
Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breastpiece of decision as a continuing memorial before the Lord. and ...they may be over Aaron's heart whenever he enters the presence of the Lord. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord.
Exd 28:10-13; 29-30


This Passage would not have stood out to me until just recently. I just started wearing a cross necklace under my shirts that was given to me by my professor Bud Bence. I have loved it.

I don't know about you, but i love the feel of things.
There have been times i have loved the feel and smell of my Bible's pages just because i cherish the words so much.
There have been times that i have love the touch and smell of wood because it has reminded me of the cross. Just recently i have loved the idea of taking on the cross daily. Let me tell you, it may sound somewhat ritualistic, but i have come to absolutely LOVE putting on a cross necklace daily.

You feel somewhat like Frodo putting on the ring in Lord of the Rings but in a good sense. You feel like you are taking on a sense of responsibility out of love for the cross. Also when you feel it dangling against your skin close to my chest, it reminds to hold Christ close to my heart. I can't say it is for everyone, but this passage took on new meaning when i understood what Christ commanded these men to do firsthand. i highly recommend getting a cross necklace, not as something that has to be flashy, but as something that allows you to physically choose to take on the cross and live with Christ daily.

God Proclaims Who He Is
Later on When the Lord is about to show his back side as he passes before Moses,the Lord describes and proclaims Himself.

I know God essentially proclaims who He Is throughout the whole bible through Jesus, the Bible being God's word, and other proclamations of his character, but here it seemed special and intimate as the Lord passes before Moses and speaks what is rightfully do of Himself.

"Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.”
Exodus 34:5-7

It is quite Interesting to think that this is the way he chose to describe himself at the moment.

2 comments:

sara jean said...

Oli...It's encouraging to hear what you are reading about in Exodus. I remeber having some of the same reflections when I read it through a few times last year. I also started wearing a cross this past summer for the same reason you did and as a reminder that I am accountalbe to God. Keep focused and looking up. Many Blessings, Dekker

Anonymous said...

Love the necklace and had to chuckle at the commercial...I SO think I need a crime deterrent on MY phone!