Thursday, January 04, 2007

Two verses that seem to be backwards these days

1. Philippians 1:21-24 To Live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? …I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.”

Today: Our concept of living is often "to live is GAIN and to die is Christ"
We are so set on living forever, but saying that we would die for Christ if he asked us to.
I wonder if we should desire God more than even our concept of living and what God has called us to do
I don't have answers, but i often fear that my fervor for certain dreams or attachments to this world would take priority over me dying and going to be with God right now.

















2. James 1:9-10 “The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position. But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower.”
Was talking to a homeless man named Samson in downtown Auckland today. As i was sitting there looking at him and wondering where most people would rank his life in terms of importance and desirability... it wasn't looking good. And yet i heard this verse later tonight. he may have just as many if not more problems than us, but i often wonder if he is lucky because he has to start from scratch as to where he trusts the Lord with things. i wonder how often our strive for success(whcih we usually view as good) puts us in a position where it is harder to trust him and really see him .

No comments: