Friday, August 06, 2010

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man...

I have always read the second part of James 5:16 in the NIV and really liked it.

"The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." (NIV)

But i just read it in the KJV and like it even MORE!

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (KJV)

I haven't done a solid word study on which version is the most accurate although the KJV tends to be more literal...

but the adjectives "effectual" and "fervent" help this verse make a lot more sense in my head because sometimes it was hard for me to know exactly what was meant simply by a "righteous man's prayer."


Another great verse clarification i found was 1 Peter 4:8

I always read

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. (NIV)

but just read

And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. (KJV)

I really like the description of “fervent charity among yourselves.” It helps clarify the meaning of love each other deeply because it adds so much more of an active description of what is being asked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.