Friday, September 28, 2007

God has got a strut

I always wondered why i liked the sky so much
Then i Read Psalm 19:1-6
(if you get a chance while you say the first line, clap your hands above your head and slowly spread them while you watch the sky open up between your hands. it's beautiful)
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,
5 which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat.

The skies are God's glory:
When Paul poses the question, "Were there people who did not hear the gospel?" in Romans 10. He uses these verses as the answer. The sky isn't just nice to look at... It is God's Glory preaching and telling the whole world He is so big that they need to stop and search his depths!
this isn't small. the sky is a BIG DEAL!!!

Like a Groom going to take the bride he is confident he will marry
Like a Champion that is confident and sure to come in first...
The Sun proclaims God's sovereignty, glory, and greatness as it rises and sets each day!!!
He is walking out everyday like "Awyeah... today is the day i show i am the man in more ways than one
...today is the day i show who is was and always will be the best anywhere and everywhere!"
The sky can seem ever distant and overwhelmingly present. The sun can give me life or kill me. It can dazzle me or it can freak me out. One moment i think it is completely controllable and the next storm i know it is not. Sometimes i can go the whole day without consciously noticing it, and other times i can't escape it. Sometimes the stars seem so close i can touch them and other times they seem so vast that i feel miniscule. Sometimes the sun is so bright i have to stop driving and other times i have to run for shade and still other times i wonder whether it is even there on a cloudy day. The sun can determine weather i have the resources for food to eat or not. The moon can determine what mood i will be in. The sky can always give me direction both day and night. The sun is unreachable yet his predecessor is accessible to man. The sun runs the universe. If the sun were too close i would never be able to grasp its capacity, and only from a distance and from what i have been told can i begin to grasp how powerful it really is.

The sky and sun so often reminds me of God and my relationship to Him. I hope i never stop standing in awe.
I don't have a verse that has hit me on this one yet but...
i also have wondered why i like water so much.
It seems uncapturable as the light dances on the water. It can be dark desolate untamable and scary one moment. It can be colorful, bright, tantalizing, fun and beautiful the next and still calm, innocent, serene, monotone, perfect reflection and compliment to its surrounding the next. It gives life as well.

3 comments:

Dan Eggenschwiler said...

I haven't spent nearly as much thinking about the sky, but water, well, what can I say, I'm sort of an expert... Ok, maybe not, but I am slightly addicted to it. Here are some thoughts off the top of my head on why you might like it:

Water gives life, it makes up most of this world and most of our bodies. You can't live without it. I'm still trying to figure out if God is simply water...it has the whole trinity thing going on as well ;).

Water renews and refreshes. On a hot day all you can think about is getting in refreshing cool water.

It moves and flows around you, it is something you cannot control. You can grab most physical things, dirt, trees, grass, and make them do what you want. Not so with water.

It has a spiritual quality to it. I think there's a very good reason people were baptized in it. It's pure, flowing, moving, living. You can completely submerge yourself in it and when you rise out, you almost feel changed.

It cleanses. Showers, baths, all of our images of cleanliness involve water.

Oh, and there are a plethora of fun activities to do in it.

Well, I could go on, but I'll stop there.

Anonymous said...

Yes Brent!
God has got a strut for sure!! :)

I'm not certain how I stumbled upon your BLOG but I'm so glad I did.

I, too, LOVE the sky! God's Glory fills the heavenly atmosphere each day, revealing a new facet of His beauty in only the way HE alone can! WOW!

It was encouraging to see a fine young man, like yourself, proclaiming the glory of God. After reading Psalm 19:1-6 from your perspective, I'll always see it in a different "light" when I read that chapter.

May God's richest blessings be poured out upon you and may His joy fill your days until He returns.

Keep up the good site!!

A new viewer from Houston Texas

Lynne Howard said...

hey brent, it was so good seeing you! You're an awesome man of God, and I thank Him for the impact you've had on not only my life, but the lives of many others, in pointing them toward Christ. I know you're making a great difference in the lives of the teens you're working with, and I'll be praying for your ministry and coming trip to NZ.